Desert Strike 1338
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Desert Strike 1338

A community site for everyone who wants to help developing the starcraft 2 costume map: Desert Strike 1338

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Overlord usefullness/timing

Go down 
+2
Zee
promeniX
6 posters
AuthorMessage
promeniX

Overlord usefullness/timing Empty
PostSubject: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Hey!

I'm a fan of the map, and I've been playing alot during the recent weeks.

One of the things I noticed that really can mess zerg up is when:
1. Playing in a team of three
2. You're the only zerg
3. You build overlords

This combined with the timed death on the overlords makes for a inefficient situation:
1. You get overlords
2. The first wave of overlords spawn. No problems so far
3. When the second wave of overlords spawn, the overlords from the previous wave haven't died yet, but they die within seconds. This means that the overlords from the second wave will fly past the first ones, and leave those spots empty. Since the overlords from the first wave die just seconds later, this means that the creep spread for the third wave will be horrible.

Suggested fixes, either:
1. Reduce the length of the timed death of overlords to match with the waves spawning or
2. Improve overlord AI to take the remaining timing of overlords into account

That's all for me.
Thanks for a great map. Hope to see you on the battlefield.

promeniX
Back to top Go down
Zee
Quality Poster
Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 3:57 am

In my opinion OLs should stay around a little longer and have a bit more HP. Zerg already has the worst space/power ratio, and this is made even worse by the OLs requiring extra space. Usually 2 OL spawner is enough to get you to the middle reliably, but i think this should be just 1, and 2 spawners should only be required to be very offensive or very flexible (easy to remake highway when pushed back), since zerg desperately needs the space.
Back to top Go down
Ortega_SLO

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 pm

We definitely need something done with overlords. As now you cant use them efficiently.
Back to top Go down
Tenshi711
User
User

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 4:35 am

In fact, Zerg is imo the BEST race of the game due to :
Queens + Hydralisks + Infestors + 1 overseer
(with fungal and energy boost)

This combination can beat almost anything. Beware of researching Neural Parasite, depends on situation, it can make you win or make you lose.

The Overlords is IMO one of the WORST unit in the game, because it splits your army in twice parts, making it so vulnerable to enemy.
NEVER make overlords if you are Zerg.
Back to top Go down
icekid

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 6:24 pm

to maybe make creep more use full i think there should be some changes
in the moventspeeds of the zerg units erase the bonus for roahes with the speedclaws they are fast as every unit other unit add movmentspeed to brutelords so they do not fall behind and let the overlords stay longer as the other units
well if all 3 teamates are one race is it always bad because you are very limited what you can bring up
as for the hp i do not agree i played many games a few players use ol as decoy for the other air units or your ground only unist yust walk by because there are still ol in the air and your aa try to kill them and leve thier comrads without protection
personalyy i think terran ist the best race because they have the best air and ground aa and in the lategame is crucial to hold the air dominace to back up tanks colosi and brutelords for that terran has te most powerful units thor vikings and bc
Back to top Go down
subaru2
User
User

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 am

mayby give queen upg creeptumor and they make it under overlord and only dies if enemy kills it ??
Back to top Go down
Zee
Quality Poster
Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 am

Tenshi711 wrote:
In fact, Zerg is imo the BEST race of the game due to :
Queens + Hydralisks + Infestors + 1 overseer
(with fungal and energy boost)

This combination can beat almost anything. Beware of researching Neural Parasite, depends on situation, it can make you win or make you lose.

The Overlords is IMO one of the WORST unit in the game, because it splits your army in twice parts, making it so vulnerable to enemy.
NEVER make overlords if you are Zerg.

I'm tending to agree with this. Overlords are as useful as stabbing yourself in the toe. It makes speedzerg units too fast (they rush ahead of AA and support), and splits slowzerg units apart, not to mention their formation will be less than optimal. And again you won't be able to use the speed in combat, since OLs will be shot down over enemy territory.

I think the above was written before the introduction of the Lurkers, which changed zerg pretty hard. Hydras are now useless, Infestors only needed for late game, so it's pretty much Roach/Queen/Lurker 'till Broodlords and ultimately GG. If the enemy attempts to counter this by air, then laugh as you place some infestors. Captial ships are cost-effectively countered by Corruptors (Corr + Queen = invulnerable AA death wall)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overlord usefullness/timing   Overlord usefullness/timing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overlord usefullness/timing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Desert Strike 1338 :: Balancing :: Zerg-
Jump to: