Desert Strike 1338

A community site for everyone who wants to help developing the starcraft 2 costume map: Desert Strike 1338

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

"Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pizzaman
User
User

PostSubject: "Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball   Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am

Hello Smile

Allow me to introduce myself: Last winter I used to be very high rank protoss in 2v2... I know what protoss death ball is and how to make it. This game is about Death ball.

here are some facts I found out about protoss race in Desert Strike

1) protoss doesnt needs upgrades to win (till late game, unless you are playing with and against very good players)
2) protoss doesnt needs T3 tech at all
3) protoss DOES needs FASTEST GAS

I never lost 1v3 (played that like 15times on public)

Lets explain some facts:

"tank" unit = unit which doesnt deal so much damage, but it helps to absorb incoming damage so other units (stalkers) can deal massive damage (zealots)
"damage" unit = are units who deals a lot of damage, but they need to be protected (stalkers, voidrays, colosi, HTs, Carriers)
"damage/shield" = units who absorb quite a lot damage and dealing damage at same time (stalkers in early game, archons in late game, immortals)

================================================================================================
T2 build
================================================================================================
Build order is simple:
1. 1st gas
2. 7zealots
3. 2nd gas
4. sentry
5. 3stalkers
6. 3rd gas
7. 9stalkers

--- upgrade: BLINK --- ussually I am going blink upgrade when i have 5+stalkers and I am trying to research upgrades just before fight, so I have chance to build one more unit before it will spawn

================================================================
so how does this army composition works?
================================
==============
This is important why does it works aka CHARGE vs BLINK
==============

stalkers due to their higher speed goes 1st, then u need to cast Guardian shield manually, and when they are damaged stalkers will blink back behind full health zealots, its possible to beat weak terran's MMM without losing single unit...

zealots are basicly "dmg" in 1st battle, if they survive they become "tanks" in 2nd battle
stalkers are "shield/dmg" in 1st battle, if they survive they become "dmg"

those units will be universal core of our death ball counter everything

Why charge isnt stronger than blink?
If you go charge your zealots will engage enemy solo, and rest of your army too

When to go charge?
Charge also increase zealots speed, the only unit which can benefit from it in early game is archon

8. T2 tech
9. I am starting with Archon/Immortal/Archon/Immortal/etc (I always stop with them when I have last 5spots empty) add observer when u wont have money to build archon/immortal before next wave
10. after 2nd archon I go charge upgrade, so Archons wont be tank since first shots

that archon/immortal/stalker/zealot combo is basic for deathball, it has a lot of life and it deals a lot dmg

now you have 3 possible safe choices:

(always safe money for bigger push of 3units)

a) if there are no air units, u can go 3colosi
--- push with 3colosi with long range -> if u want to fast end game just go +ground attack (u were able to dominate without colosi and upgrades, if you can manage to build 3colosi and +2ground attack in one wave, u practically win the game), if enemy answer with some air-air units, just add some scouts for absorbing dmg, when scouts died, colosi killed everything on ground, and your stalkers and archons start targeting enemy air units

b) if there are a lot of light units and some air units: HTs
--- u need to cast storms manually !!!
--- this is super strong vs lings/banelings, vikings, vs pure MMM
--- this push is slower, because of huge investments in first 3HTs

c) if there are heavy ground/ground units, just go voidrays
--- if you build 1st air units, thats the time when ppl start QQ about voidrays how OP they are
--- more voidrays = more DPS
--- if enemy answer with air/air units, just add some scouts, until its enough
--- if your voidrays surviving, u can upgrade air attack

+/- 20:00 mins mark
if u feel safe go 4th gas asap (beware to go whole team at same time for that gas)

or u can just mass and start mixing a) b) c) options

if you see your high tech units do a lot damage to enemy, u can mass them (scouts as defense vs air/air units, also healthy mix of archons/hts)

in this moment I am mostly going mass HTs (if i didnt chosed option b)

if your team has superiority advantage in the air, u are ready to go mighty carriers, if not add some scouts/voidrays

If u dont know what to do you cant never go wrong with blink stalkers/immortals/archons

note: u can go upgrades, but I prefer not to. Reason? Peaple are weak in public games, and my goal is to build carrier in every game

13:00 mins mark 3colosi rush
1. 1st gas
2. 7zealots
3. 2nd gas
4. 5zealots (if possible stalker do it - but u cant delay your 3rd gas)
5. 3rd gas
7. 15stalkers total
8. tech to T2
9. tech to T3
10. wait for 2-3colosi if you know u wont be able to research long range, rather wait one more round and go +1colosi
11. when I sent first wave with colosi to the battle I go 2scouts
12. +1, +2, +3 ground attack
13. 80% chance for victory before 20mins

if you are maxed before rocks go down
a) u can go T3 if u wanna go colosi
b) save money for massive T2 push
c) upgrades

I prefer option B so I will see how it went so I can safely decide if I can go fast 4th gas or not

WEAKNESS

definitely cloak banshee, queen/lurker/roach, and also pure roach/queen, kinda immortal/archon

vs banshees: go fast T2 (after 3rd gas) and make observer

vs lurkers: go fast T2 (after 3rd gas) and make observer (and skip 2stalkers for 1immortal) - maybe more depends how many armored units enemy has

vs roach: go fast T2 (after 2nd gas), skip sentry and 3stalkers and make one immortal

vs immortal/archon: this unit combination will start kicking about at 10-12mins keep going your build (u might losing for a while) and go immortals to protect your colosi/voids

-> in every scenerio u need to have 14 (T2 build) or 15 (colosi build) stalkers

how to stop mass immortals: zealots, couple immortals, stalkers, voidrays if enemy has archons, u need to have couple archons too

this build will kill every fast tech, every bad army compositions

I am normally killing 1,5+ enemy each wave

sorry for my bad english: majority of mistakes are because I am lazy to correct errors, because its too long Very Happy Very Happy
If u have any questions, suggestions or u just wanna say THX
feel free to add me:

EU server
Pizzaman:608
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pizzaman
User
User

PostSubject: Re: "Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball   Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:26 pm

game I just played:

go to wwwXdropXsc/277373 -> X stands for dot
(New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.) I will edit this link.

If I was playing alone I would have win 3games instead of this "epic play"

noticed how it ended so quickly when i added carriers and I went for upgrades

My thought process: archon/immortal combo was planned since beginning, then i was kinda thinking what to go, voids were risky - due to vikings, but they are the best distraction vs Thor's autocannon vs immortals/archons + Thors arent so good vs armored units (that was the reason for carriers)

since 18-20:00mins we didnt die only thx to me, and we didnt win earlier thx to me too, cause I had 0upgrade

HTs were logical choice (I was thinking colosi or HTs), but I was on T2, colosi tech is slow, and I was worry about letting them gain a big ball which I wont be able to kill with my single wave (if I played with good friends, who know what to do, i will definitely go for colosi/scouts/HTs (HTs against mass vikings)

This army composition is known as "Protoss Death Ball" and here is a tutorial how to do it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pizzaman
User
User

PostSubject: Re: "Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball   Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Now I played first game vs very skilled players and Its not so strong as I thought...
but its enough to have 90% winning chance on public games

I still think its strong, I just need to find better gas timing and better amount of units...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zee
Quality Poster
Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: "Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball   Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 am

I can see this being quite strong in public, because of several factors:

1. Leaves first round empty. A lot of public players can misinterpret this, and don't know how to deal with a following standard play.
2. High number of T1 units are a lot of times not met with similar response, allowing you to tech up safely.
3. Slowlot+Blinkstalker is probably the most potent PvT strategy, and can consistently beat a decent T if you have good allies or are in 1v3 or 2v3 with a good ally. This combined with fast Colossus response leaves a T utterly devastated, if his allies cannot beat yours.
4. Letting a Protoss go greedy (fast gas, high late eco) is one of the worst thing his enemies can do.

Weaknesses:

Things that are not dangerous:
- Banshees: they are such a cost-ineffective unit that you can pretty much just go straight stalker/sentry (without obs) and beat it. Feel free to sell zealots if they do absolutely nothing. Any banshee based build starts to crumble at T2 where air crowd control becomes available.
- Queen/Lurker: it lacks DPS vs toss. Toss is very resistant to splash damage due to high HP and large units. The only reason this might give you trouble is because Queens refuse to die to the low DPS of toss T1. Solution is Archons (or quick rush to Colossi if you are feeling lucky).

Things that are dangerous:
- Queen/Lurker/Roach: depends on composition. Since this is pretty much the best Z build, expect to have problems. My solution is usually: go low gas (only take gas if you comfortably control the middle, otherwise you need more units), and get T2 fast. Zerg has no real cost-effective T2 units versus Archons and Immortals. They'll either crumble, allowing you to tech and eco up, or go mass hydralisks that will die very very fast to Colossus. This all depends on your allies and middle control. If you lose middle to this, expect to never beat it again, unless your allies crush their opposition.
- Reaper/Marauder or Critical Mass Marines: again, depends on middle. If T is smart, he will transition to BC. You will still need Colossi. Reaper/Mara is beatable by Archon/Immortal, but not marines. With colossi and some T2 you will be able to beat it on the ground. It all depends on whether you have a strong economy to be able to beat in in the air too after the BC switch.
- Zealot/Immortal: you need to win the zealot war or else you won't have anything againist the immortals. Immortals with sentries (guardian shield) only take 8 damage on shields, so it's very useful to add them. If you tech first, you can use a single DT to force the enemy to tech (and gain some ground). Zealots will be gradually less useful as you progress. Archons will only beat zealots if they have a zealot shield thick enough, high numbers and if they have at least +2 upgrades, so do immortals first, and archons only if you really have trouble with zealots. A single VR can force some (even maybe overblown) AA defense, but don't overdo VRs, they are almost never cost-effective. Once the Immortal layer is thick enough, Colossi become useful (they drain 6 times the hardened shield quota with each shot on average). Stalkers are mostly useless in PvP, only use them if the enemy goes for light air units, otherwise Scouts are much better AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball   

Back to top Go down

"Unbeatable" protoss builds vs everything, no T3, no upgrades, fastest economy, pure real death ball
Page 1 of 1